Enter your email address to stay in touch

Cuts off the table call

More North Sea strike dates announced
David Eyre, Tuesday, August 9th, 2016


Unite has called for urgent talks with energy company Wood Group in order to avert further strike action in the North Sea.

 

Yesterday, (August 8), the union confirmed dates for further strike action by members employed by Wood Group, starting on Monday, August 15. The workers carry out maintenance and repair on platforms owned by Shell. They are facing cuts in pay and allowances of up to 30 per cent.

 

“Last week Wood Group refused to take these proposed cuts off the table in order to allow proper negotiations,” said Unite regional officer John Boland. “Now we have been told that the company is not willing to have talks until next week at the earliest. We find that astonishing.

 

“The company needs to start taking this dispute seriously,” he added. “No-one takes industrial action lightly, but our members are staying united in the face of this unwarranted attack on their pay and conditions. These further strike dates show their determination.

 

“We know the North Sea oil and gas industry is facing challenges, but companies have to realise that they can’t prop up their profits or create a sustainable industry by attacking their workers.”

 

Unite and the RMT trade unions have announced that members working for Wood Group on Shell’s Curlew platform will take part in 24-hour stoppages on August 15, 22 and 29.

 

Members on Brent Alpha and Brent Bravo platforms will take part in 24-hour stoppages on August 16, 23 and 30.

 

Members on the Nelson, Gannet and Shearwater platforms will take part in 24-hour stoppages on August 17, 24 and 31, while members on the Brent Charlie platform will take 6-hour stoppages on August 16, 20, 23, 27 and 30 August, as well as on September 3.

 

@davideyre

Related Articles