Enter your email address to stay in touch

‘Unprecedented’ guilt admission

Big step forward for blacklisted workers
Alex Flynn, Thursday, October 8th, 2015


Over 260 blacklisted construction workers are on the verge of securing damages, which could total tens of millions, after Unite won an unprecedented admission of guilt from construction companies involved in blacklisting, it was announced today (October 8).

 
The admission and apology is the result of High Court legal action by Unite legal services, the GMB, UCATT and the Blacklisting Support Group against 40 major construction firms involved in blacklisting through the secretive Consulting Association and Services Group of the Economic League.

 
As well as securing an admission that the construction firms, through the covert operations of the Consulting Association, had breached data protection and were liable for the unlawful use of the private details of Unite members (and others), Unite crucially secured a ground-breaking admission that its members had been defamed.

 
The additional admission of defamation means that Unite members are in line for larger pay outs to compensate for the damage inflicted on their lives by blacklisting. Importantly, it also stops the firms involved from hiding behind ‘non-disclosure’ meaning Unite members can continue to seek answers on how and why they were blacklisted.

 
Unite, through its legal team at Thompsons, will continue to pursue disclosure and seek compensation from those companies who have made these incredible admissions. Those companies include Sir Robert McAlpine Ltd, Balfour Beatty, Crown House Technologies, Skanska, Kier and Laing O’Rourke.

 
“Blacklisting is a scandal that has ruined lives and led to hardship and misery for thousands of people,” Unite assistant general secretary Gail Cartmail said. “The admissions from the blacklisters and the damages for the blacklisted are an important step on the road to justice in righting that wrong.

 
“That road won’t be completed though, or the stain of blacklisting removed, until there is a full public inquiry and the livelihoods of the blacklisted restored by the firms involved giving them a permanent job,” she added.

 
“Those Tory ministers, who profess to be on the side of workers, while attacking trade unions should take note of these landmark admissions. They need to drop their draconian Trade Union bill which will make it easier for bad bosses to get away with injustices like blacklisting.”

 
Crucial admission

 
Unite director of legal services Howard Beckett called the admissions from construction firms involved in system covert blacklisting “unprecedented” and noted that they would not have been possible without the resolve of members and the dedication of Unite’s legal team.

 
“Crucially, Unite members can expect to not only receive personal apologies and offers of redress but also larger pay-outs because of the admission of defamation”, Beckett said. “The admission of defamation allows Unite to continue to seek answers from the firms involved.

 
“This case once again underlines the vital role trade unions play in standing up for their members and is a reminder that Unite will not shy away from using the full force of the law to get justice,” Beckett added.

 
“Unite would like to place on record our thanks to Richard Arthur and his team at Thompsons Solicitors which continues to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the trade union movement.”

 

 

Related Articles